Thomas Cassingham (Jr.) is the son of Thomas Cassingham (Sr.) and Phoebe Ford. He was born 26 Jan
1802 in Kent County, England. He died 30 Nov 1887 at the age of 85 years in La Harpe,
Hancock, Illinois and was buried in La Harpe Cemetery on 1 Dec 1887.
On 3 Mar 1829, he married Mary E. Morrison in Muskingum
County, Ohio. She was born 5 Oct 1805 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania. She died 3 Jul 1889
at the age of 83 in Durham, Hancock, Illinois and was buried in the La Harpe Cemetery on 4
Thomas and Mary had a total of nine children, three of whom died in childhood.
- James Austin Cassingham was born 18 Jun 1832 in Muskingum
- Martha Jane Cassingham was born 15 Dec 1833 in Ohio. She died 4 Jan 1841,
probably in Ohio.
- Harriet Cassingham was born 25 Sep 1835 in Ohio.
- Alexander Cassingham was born 4 Apr 1837 in Muskingum County,
- Mary Elizabeth Cassingham was born 27 Oct 1838 in Ohio. She died 27 Jan 1841 at
- Lucinda Mariah Cassingham was born 4 Oct 1840 in Ohio.
- Sarah Anne Cassingham was born 1 Apr 1842 in Ohio. She married Willis
Pritchet Lincoln, Eli's brother.
- Margaret Cassingham was born 23 Aug 1844 in Ohio. She married Eli
Nathan Lincoln, Willis's brother.
- (unknown) Cassingham was born about 1846. Died in childhood? (Nothing else is
known of this child except that Thomas and Mary had nine children.)
Thomas, like his parents, was a member of the Methodist church. His parents brought
him to the United States in 1818, when he was 16. They settled in Muskingum
County, Ohio. He became a U.S. citizen
17 Jul 1826. In 1854 he moved his family to Hancock County, Illinois. (See Thomas' obituary for details.)
Mary is a sister to Margaret Morrison who married Thomas'
brother, Richard. Mary's obituary lists
them as "twin" sisters, but gives her birthday as 15 Sep (which would not make
them twins). Many other sources attest to the fact of their being twins, however.
Additionally, Mary's obituary says she was born in Virginia, but census records (made
during her lifetime) consistently list her birth place as Pennsylvania.
Mary and Martha:
While the 1840 census lists female children of the right ages to be Martha and Mary, there
are no such children listed in 1850. We assume they had died.
Thomas: Birth, Death and Burial are from his obituary. See also his grave marker (photo courtesy of Robert Teesdale).
Mary Morrison: Death and Burial from her obituary. See also her grave marker for Birth and Death dates (photo
courtesy of Robert Teesdale).
The individuals in this family appear in the following census listings.
- Thomas (presumed): 1820 Census. Madison,
Muskingum, Ohio. Page 135.
- 1830 Census. Dresden, Muskingum, Ohio. Page
- 1840 Census. Jackson, Muskingum, Ohio. Page
- 1850 Census. Jackson, Muskingum, Ohio.
- 1860 Census. Durham, Hancock, Illinois.
- 1860 Census. Pilot Grove, Hancock,
Illinois. Page 709.
- 1870 Census. Durham, Hancock, Illinois.
- 1880 Census. Durham, Hancock, Illinois.