James Cassingham was born about 1811 in England. He
is the son of Thomas Cassingham (Sr.) and Phoebe Ford. He
was a shoemaker. He died 11 Nov 1882 or about 1888 at about age 71/77 in Miami County,
- On 7 Mar 1833, he married (1) Martha Oden in Muskingum County,
Ohio. Martha was born between 1810/1820 in Virginia. She died about 1843/1844 in Muskingum
County, Ohio. Martha is the daughter of Elias Oden.
- Shortly after Marthas death, James married (2) Eliza Ann Guiberson
on 25 Jun 1844 in Dresden, Muskingum, Ohio. Eliza was born between 1810/1813 in Virginia.
Eliza died 23 Jul 1882 in Beaver County, Pennsylvania.
Children of James Cassingham and Martha Oden:
- Thomas E. Cassingham was born 4 Jan 1834 in Coshocton County,
- George W. Cassingham was born between 1835/1840 and died in 1847. He is buried in
the Frazeysburg Cemetery, Jackson, Muskingum, Ohio.
- James Wesley Cassingham was born 16 Jun 1840 in Frazeysburg,
- Susan Cassingham was born about 1843 in Ohio.
Children of James Cassingham and Eliza Ann Guiberson:
- Franklin Cassingham was born 4 Feb 1847 in Ohio and was killed at the age of 18
in military action in the Civil War on 21 Mar 1865.
- Eliza Ann Cassingham was born 26 May 1849 in Ohio. She married Mr. Kelly.
- Winfield Scott Cassingham was born 7 Aug 1852. He married Clara M.
(unknown). She was born about 1859 in Pennsylvania.
James came to the U.S. with his parents and six siblings in Oct 1818,
arriving in Baltimore. They settled almost immediately in Muskingum County, Ohio.
Franklin enlisted in the Civil War on 29 May 1864.
James: Birth from his father's
naturalization oath, which states that James when nine when the family arrived in the
U.S. in 1818.
Marriage to Martha from official Marriage Record (Muskingum County, Illinois).
Marriage to Elizabeth Guiberson from official Marriage Record (Muskingum County,
Death from the Civil War Pension Index entry for James' son, Franklin. The handwritten
form is hard to read, but seems to say that James died 11 Nov 1882.
Susan: Birth from 1850
Census (Jackson, Muskingum, IL. p. 335) and 1860 Census (Wayne, Muskingum, IL. p.
The individuals in this family appear in the following census listings.
- James (presumed): 1820 Census. Madison,
Muskingum, Ohio. Page 135.
- 1840 Census. Virginia, Coshocton, Ohio.
- 1850 Census. Jackson, Muskingum,
Ohio. Page 335.
- 1860 Census. Wayne, Muskingum, Ohio.
- 1880 Census. Pittsburgh, Alleghany,
Pennsylvania. Page 289.
- Eliza and Winfield: 1910 Census.
Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania.